Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Locating Podcasts

This is pretty neat. I used podcast.net to search for some items for which people ask, such as literature reviews, book reviews, political and historical information, etc.

I was pleasantly surprised to find some great resources, including dramatic readings and interpretations of Shakespeare and other authors, Jeff Shaara discussing his latest title, and a fabulous list of podcasts from Pritzker Military Library. It reminds me of C-SPAN's book talks. Some are quite professional and others are, well, like me...completely unpolished!

Of course, like my opinion of Wikipedia, I would vet the info before using it. Sometimes it's easy to tell if you should be extra wary. One podcast was titled Pod Casting at Its Worse which is either a clever or incredibly stupid title. Even if the site is professionally produced, that's still no guarantee the speakers are completely nuts, but if it's an author you recognize, then it can be pretty informative and entertaining.

One trick with podcast.net is to search under "Episodes" and type in your keywords. I looked for "suicide bombers" and while nothing appeared under the "Keyword" search, some great and relevant sites appeared under the "Episodes" sites. This is a quibble--it's difficult to find appropriate information because the casts are poorly tagged and labeled.

I also tried Podcastalley.com but wasn't as impressed, especially with the poor search options. Also, it will say how many MBs it is, but not the actual length of the broadcast.

Hey, did you know you could play more than one podcast at a time, and have the sound for both at the same time...I love all the voices in my head!!! :-)

No comments: