Thursday, October 11, 2007

Lifelong Learning

After viewing the 7 1/2 habits, I would have to say the easiest for me would be viewing problems as challenges. One thing that has driven me batty since I was young(er!) is when I have observed someone facing a challenge they do not know how to approach, and after asking for assistance, they walk away (literally or figuratively) before the challenge has been resolved. They learn nothing. One thing I have experienced, is that challenges (i.e. problems) tend to repeat themselves. So, if you walk away from it, you are just as ill-equipped to deal with it the next time.

The most difficult of the habits would have to be using technology, although this is becoming easier. I do not have a computer at home, and really, really do not want one. I work with them all day, and the last thing I want to do is sit in front of a screen on my off time. If I absolutely, positively need to know the GDP of Bolivia in 1990, I can always call the library! Also, there's a logistical problem--our house is tiny and there is no nook or comfy space (and I mean NONE) to work for long periods of time. Plus, I'm cheap, but we won't go there... I do say it's becoming easier because I have bought an iPod, I now have an MP3 player, and of course, the ubiquitous cell phone. I prefer the portable electronics because I can be doing something else while listening to music or, my favorite, listening to NPR. So, I try to learn as much as possible on the job, and attending professional conferences. Good thing I'm fairly organized and efficient!

No comments: